Sunday, May 15, 2011

Cooking 101

Hi everyone!

So this post will be a bit of a departure from the norm around here. I usually talk about my soaping adventures (or disasters! lol), my Etsy shop and product ideas and so on. Today I'm going to post about... food!

I don't necessarily consider myself a foodie (well... maybe just a little bit, lol) and I've never had any formal training, I just love to cook! I like experimenting, and I'll often just make things up as I go along. I understand that can be hard for people who feel they can't cook, but it's honestly very easy.

Unless this begins to take over, I'm planning on writing foodie posts every so often. I like sharing my food pictures on my Facebook, and I thought hey... why not share recipes too!

A couple of my fav ways to create dinners are "bowls" or "fancy salads" ... this is also a great way to get kids to eat loads of veggies I've found!

With a bowl, it usually starts with rice (sometimes noodles) then I add a variety of things, depending on what's in the fridge. Chopped tomatoes, chopped avocado, grated cheddar, varies salsas, black beans, grilled chicken, fresh cilantro, broccoli florets, red onion... as you can see, the combinations are virtually endless! It's yummy, satisfying and can be eaten hot or cold. Mmm!



Fancy salad is my fav lunch, or hot summer day dinner... starts with various lettuce and spinach leaves. Next add any combination of the following .... chopped tomatoes, sliced cucumber, sliced hard boiled egg, grated cheddar, blue cheese crumbles, crumbled bacon, grilled chicken strips, mini corn (Is that what it's really called? I'm not sure.. lol), sliced olives, various salsas, black beans, crutons, and any dressing you like. This also makes a super satisfying meal, and is very filling! Sorry, no pics of the fancy salad at this time... we always devour them, and then I think... oops, forgot to snap a pic! Oh well, next time!

If there's interest in learning my recipes and cooking style, I might make a separate blog for that. For now, enjoy and if you try a yummy bowl, or fancy salad, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment