Tuesday, February 8, 2011

What does "natural" mean? and How I formulate my products!

So I was thinking about this after browsing the Bath & Beauty section of Etsy & Amazon.. ( I love to check out other's creations, and look for packaging inspiration! lol) So many products are claiming to be "all natural" or "eco-friendly", but what does that really mean?

Legally, anyone can use the word "natural", there are no regulations or rules regarding the word. The word "organic" IS regulated, and products must be submitted for certification to legally be called "organic".

To me, natural means, minimally processed. Frankly, just about everything use use, eat or wear has to be processed at least a little bit. I try to buy my supplies with this in mind, such as unrefined shea butter instead of the ultra refined, modified shea butter for example.

I also buy organic ingredients whenever possible. Right now I'm using organic coconut oil, shea butter, avocado oil, and all of my essential oils are organic.

~
I like to formulate with the products intention in mind. I choose oils, butters, and all my ingredients based on 2 things. What the product is for, and how I want it to feel. By making my products from scratch, I can control what does into them, and I opt NOT to use fillers, or extra "pointless" ingredients to bulk out my formulas.

I also make small batches, so when you order a product from me, it's fresh! Nothing sits around very long, eliminating the need for extra, or paraben based preservatives.

If you have any questions please feel free to leave a comment, or shoot me a convo on Etsy!

No comments:

Post a Comment